Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The certified SPD technician performs all tasks associated with the processing of surgical instruments and medical devices including cleaning, decontamination, assembly, sterilization/high level disinfection; monitoring of environmental conditions, sterilization processes, and HLD processes; assembly and dispatching of case carts and emergency carts; and inventory and ordering of SPD supplies.
A day in the life of a Technician SPD Certified at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Assists in processing of instruments, surgical trays, and surgical case carts.: Performs duties in the Processing area. Maintains knowledge of instruments and trays and can assemble trays and sets as detailed on set layout sheets. Can operate correctly all machinery associated with the Decontamination and Processing area and identify problems that affect the quality of the product produced.
2. Checks expiration dates on sterile items.: Checks for outdated items and takes appropriate action if discovered.
3. Demonstrates proper phone etiquette.: Uses proper procedure with callers on the business unit and OR Hotline phones in a courteous and efficient manner.
4. Makes daily soil rounds of the medical units.: Performs daily soil rounds, visiting all required areas and returns all items to SPD for processing.
5. Performs functions in Decontamination area.: Responsible for cleaning the instruments, trays and carts. Performs decontamination duties without direction. Has the ability to control the workflow in the Decontamination area.
6. Records all processed loads and keeps accurate records.: Accurately enters information into record books required to track processed loads. Records Biological indicators into required logs and places Biological indicators into the proper incubator to be processed. Removes Biological indicators after proper time period and accurately records outcome of testing.
7. Responsible for SPD department stock.: Puts away supplies in the SPD department and rotates stock as needed. Duties are performed with reasonable speed and definite accuracy.
8. Responsible for the daily operations of the business unit in the Supervisor's absence.: Demonstrates ability to take charge and appropriately assigns team members in the interest of business unit and ultimately patient care.
9. Responsible for the daily operations of the business unit in the Coordinator's and/or Supervisor's absence. (Technicians with charge responsibilities.): Demonstrates the ability to take charge of the processing functions by appropriately facilitating the team members in the performance of their assignments in the best interest of the business unit and ultimately patient care.
10. Steam and Sterrad sterilization of instruments and medical devices. Operates steam and Sterrad sterilization equipment in compliance with manufacturer¿s instructions, policies and procedures, and Infection Prevention.
11. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
12. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High School diploma, general equivalency diploma (GED), and/or GED equivalent programs.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Experience with Sterrad sterilization
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Sterile Processing Certification
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!