Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
Under the direction of a qualified physician, the PET/CT Technologist will perform a variety of PET CT and CT procedures that require the incumbent to work independently and use proper judgement. The individual may perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A day in the life of a PET Scan/CT Technologist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Verifies the patient name and date of birth prior to exam and ensures all the correct information on the order and prescriptions are entered into the various computer systems correctly. Demonstrates knowledge of proper patient positioning, imaging techniques and machine settings to ensure high quality imaging and follows Radiation Safety Regulations at all times. Scan the exams following department protocols. The technologist seeks further clarification from the ordering physician or Radiologist when conflicting information or symptoms are presented. Calculates, measures and administers radiopharmaceuticals adhering to safety standards (ALARA) that minimize radiation exposure to workers and patients. Demonstrates independence and self direction in job performance, keeping the needs of the patients, customer and department foremost. Maintains technical proficiency in the use of all equipment in department including AW workstations for advanced imaging processing. Calculates proper dose and administration of contrast material both oral and intravenous.
2. Introduces themselves, explains procedure to patient to decrease anxiety and increase patient cooperation in a confident and personable manner and allows time for any questions the patient may have. Communicates with physician offices and ordering physicians to facilitate scheduling and/or completion of exams in a professional manner consistent with the organization values. Knowledge of Cyraphone for proper communication. Assumes leadership responsibility in absence of supervisor but contacts a Team Leader/Administrator for their advice when unusual problems or circumstances occur.
3. Utilizes and documents in the RIS (clinstar), entering all fields and completing exam, correct physicians name and patient account. Verify exams in PACS after completing proper documentation as per PACS protocol.
Ensures that all are met such as bloodwork, safety check list, ALARA, medication administration prior to and during testing. The technologist must review charts and other documents to confirm physician orders for accuracy and appropriateness prior to proceeding with procedures.
4. Complies with hospital, local, state and federal regulatory and accrediting standards as well as department specific protocols and policies.
5. Participates in the evaluation of individual studies to improve patient outcomes and operational efficiencies. Participates in continuing education and completes required E-Learning as assigned and maintains necessary Continuing Education Units (CEU's).
6. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
7. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Graduate of an AMA approved school or Nuclear Medicine Technology.
2. Performance of all diagnostic PET/CT Scan procedures.
3. Department 3321332 only: Successful completion of the AMI IV Certification Program.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
5. Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Preferably 1-2 years of experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Diagnostic Radiography License.
2. Nuclear Medicine Technician Certification Board or Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification.
3. AHA Basic Health Care Life Support HCP Certification.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. Computed Tomography Certification.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!