Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Senior Group Counselor provides activities and leisure assessment and group counseling services to assigned caseload of patients. In addition, the Senior Group Counselor coordinates the distribution of caseloads on each unit. Monitors quality provision of treatment services on the unit as requested. Functions as the primary Group Counselor between the unit with the responsibility for communicating information accurately, assertively, and in a timely manner.
A day in the life of a Senior Group Counselor at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Provides activities/leisure assessment and counseling services to assigned patient groups within the standards of the department's policies. Groups are of a psycho educational nature to include: social and recreational skills, creative expressions, stress management and physical activities.
2. Begins group assessment within 48 hours of admission and determines what types of groups patients will best benefit from
3. Understands and implements hospital wide, regulatory agencies' procedures, regulations and standards
4. Assesses learning needs, readiness and barriers to learning of patients and documents appropriately. Provides age appropriate learning opportunities (individual and group) and documents teaching and outcomes appropriately. Provides educational materials that are specifically appropriate for the patient/family, considering age, educational level, culture and disability.
5. Communicates patient participation/progress in conducted groups to the treatment team.
6. Identifies relevant goals, objectives and interventions for activity groups documented on the Master Treatment Plan in the patient's chart and attends the patient's Treatment Planning conference.
7. Completes documentation of patient's progress including weekly progress note, weekly treatment plan revision and transfer or discharge summary in the context of specific treatment objectives.
8. Participates in departmental meetings, unit meetings, problem solving teams, in-services and other meetings as called by supervisory staff.
9. Maintains current knowledge of developments within the field of one's specialization by attending in-service programs, conferences or continuing education as stated in the department's policy on professional development.
10. Orients patients on caseload to clinical services and completes an assessment for each assigned patient within 48 hours of patient's admission.
11. Provides ongoing supervision for other Group Counselors on at least a once monthly basis.
12. Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
13. Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or related field.
2. Minimum 2 years relevant work experience in a healthcare setting.
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
4. Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Master's Degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or related field.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!